Some Facts about StockFish:
1. The word stockfish is a loan word from Dutch stokvis ‘stick fish’, possibly referring to the wooden racks on which stockfish are traditionally dried.
2. Cod is the most common fish used in stockfish production,while other white
3. Stockfish is mostly made in Norway and it is the most profitable export in Norway over the centuries.fish, such as pollock, haddock, ling and tusk, are used to a lesser degree.
4. After the fish has been captured, it is left to dry for four month that from February to May.
5. The equipment used to dry the stockfish is known as “hjell”
6. The stockfish contains proteins, vitamins, iron, and calcium.
7. Stockfish is exported to Italy, Croatia and Nigeria.
8. In Norway and Iceland, the stockfish is mostly used as a snack.
9. The science of producing good stockfish is in many ways comparable to that of making a well matured cheese.
10. While drying the fish, it is important that the fish does not come in contact with the other stockfish on the boards. This can cause hanging marks that can later lead to a reduction in quality.