Chewing Sticks are very popular in Africa as a traditional alternative for toothpaste and toothbrush. These chewing sticks are made from natural licorice, gum tree or Salvadora Persica, thus, it has abundance of benefits such as rich in minerals calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and vitamins A, B complex and E. Chewing sticks acts as good as toothbrush and toothpaste, and it also has organic antibacterial properties that cleanse the teeth and gums while the pulp of chewing sticks scrub leftover foods as well as plaque.
For the Origin of the Chewing Stick, read here..
Put on your bib and get ready to tuck into some delicious dishes from across the continent here with our Top 10 Great African Eats.
1. Chicken Piri Piri (Mozambique) – So, what’s for dinner? How about whipping up the dish that made Bourdain drool – charcoal-grilled Chicken Piri Piri? CLICK FOR RECIPE.
2. Fonio Salad (Senegal) – It’s rich in methionine and cysteine, two amino acids that are vital to human health, and that are deficient in today’s major cereals. CLICK FOR RECIPE.
3. Grilled Chambo Fish (Malawi) – For fish foodies it’s hard to beat the lake catch of the day, fresh-grilled on the shore, particularly the ever-so-popular national favorite, Chambo.
4. Bunny Chow (South Africa) – The ubiquitous South African street food called Bania Chow (chow was the word the Chinese used for food) was born, a name that later morphed into Bunny Chow. CLICK FOR RECIPE.
5. Grilled Lamp Chops with Rice and Pita Chips (Egypt) – Egyptian cuisine features high-quality legumes and vegetables from the fertile Nile valley and delta. Yet, oddly enough, what became Egypt’s favorite fare, Kushari, originated from the British army more than a century ago. CLICK FOR RECIPE.
6. Mushroom Soup (Kenya) – With its Indian Ocean coastline, fertile farmland, as well as its fresh and saltwater lakes, Kenya is a cornucopia of fish, fruits and vegetables; rice and wheat, meats; farmed coffee and tea, and locally-brewed beer. CLICK FOR RECIPE.
7. Braised Cabbage (Tanzania) – The yummy cooking of Tanzania varies widely and has been influenced by the many people who migrated from India to this East African nation. Here’s a great side dish to pep up any dinner fare. CLICK FOR RECIPE.
8. Lamb Tagine (Morocco) – Morocco is not only the land of America’s favorite movie, Casablanca, of fabled Marrakech, of exotic and ancient Fez, and of the stunning Atlas Mountains, it’s home to a wondrous, refined cuisine that’s a mix of Berber, Arab, French and Spanish influences. CLICK FOR RECIPE.
9. Roast Pork Sirloin (South Africa) – South Africa is renowned for its plethora of excellent hotels and restaurants (and game reserves) serving first-class food. One such is the Steenberg Hotel & Winery in Constantia just outside Cape Town, where award-winning executive chef Garth Almazan created this mouth-watering dish. CLICK FOR RECIPE.
10. Salade Mechouia (Tunisia) – Oh, that Mediterranean diet! It’s healthy and delicious and based on a dairy-less “sun cuisine” – bursting with flavors of olive oil and honey, tomatoes and peppers, fish and seafood; spices, eggs and meat (except pork because of Sharia law). CLICK FOR RECIPE.
Atama or beletientien is an annual herb cultivated in the delta areas. It smells and tastes like tarragon, and is usually used fresh or dried in Banga soup. Atama is spicy, and the dried leaves are a lot more pungent in flavor.
Choose your own fashionable, colorful, and unique clutch purse that’s perfect to bring for gatherings, and even to your simplest meet-ups!
Slash price of the week:
ST7 Vita Carrot Toning Body Lotion (500mL)
We are offering up to 22% off! From $20.95, it’s now only $16.25!
We have an enormous collection of the best skin whitening products for all your skin lightening needs.
Products that are selling this week:
H20 Jours Natural Lightneing Soap (225g)
Strong bleaching soap, H20 Jours Natural Lightening Soap (225g). We have an enormous collection of the best skin whitening products for all your skin lightening needs.
Featured products for this week:
Every cook needs a well-stocked kitchen. Having these essential ingredients on hand will allow you to answer the question “what’s for dinner?” in no time.
Pastel colors have been known to bring vibrancy, youth and a complete stand out from the rest. Add these vibrant collections of Geles to any of your African style ensembles, and get a feel of indulgence and fluidity from it’s silk satin fabric that comes in these variety of lovely colors.
Save $2.00 when you buy as a package, costs more when purchased separately.
Here are the Top 15 Hotels in Africa – Reader’s Choice Award:
This is brought to you by Shikenan African Shop, Everything African from Food to Fashion!
All about African Food and African Culture